Thursday, May 21, 2009

Time to bring in road base for a gravel driveway

Here is what the road looked like after the ruts dried.
As soon as we managed to get out of the mud; after our first attempt at a family gathering at Circle H, I vowed to start bringing in gravel for a road.
After calling around the area, a local company called Armadillo Dirt was recommended to me by another gravel company. I spoke with the owner and made arrangements to have a double load delivered.
This morning on my way to work, I got a phone call from the driver telling me that he was headed to pick up the gravel and he wanted directions to the site. I gave him directions and then thought it would be best that I have Ann meet him out there at the road. (Considering that it doesn't have an address, yet.)
After I asked Ann to meet him out there, I had the persistent feeling that I should be out there. So, I followed my gut, told my boss that I'd be gone for a couple of hours and took off to the country, about 65 miles away on the toll road. $5.25 later I was on a 'free' road headed out.
Somehow, I managed to catch up to them before they got out to the ranch and I dealt with the driver personally. Everything went fine. He was a nice guy. Why I had the prompting to be there in person, I don't know. But, I do know that the entire time I was on the road out there. I had a very strong sense of urgency that I had to get there before the driver did.
All said and done, I've always done very well when I followed my instincts. I can't help but wonder though, how many close calls have I avoided by following my feelings?
Ann took some pictures of the delivery. For a couple of people who have spent the last few decades of our lives as city folk, this was a pretty neat experience. I did work heavy construction for many years before I became a geek so being around a big dump truck was actually nothing new to me.
So? What's next on the agenda? Me, Todd and Eric are going to go out tomorrow after work and start spreading it by hand. That's right! 30 tons of road base. Hmmmmm. Should be lots of fun...the three of us men...bonding. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment